When you have a baby one of the first things you want to have is the best baby monitor for your child. The VTech Baby Monitor is a great baby monitor to have in your house. However, there might be an issue that you are running into.
You might be having a hard time connecting your VTech Baby Monitor to your WiFi. Which you will need to do in order for the VTech Baby Monitor to work.
In this guide I will be going over the most common reason your VTech Baby Monitor is not connecting to your WiFi and how you can solve this issue.
Why is VTech Baby Monitor Not Connecting to WiFi?
When experiencing issues with your VTech Baby Monitor not connecting to your WiFi there could be a few reasons why this is happening. The first thing to look at is your network connection and WiFi Band.
If that is not the solution you should then start looking at possible issues with your VTech app or even the device itself. Below is a list of the most common reasons why your VTech Baby Monitor is not connecting to the WiFi.
1. Issues With Network Connection
The most common reason why your VTech Baby Monitor is not connecting to your WiFi is issues with your WiFi connection. If you have a bad or no WiFi connection then your VTech Baby Monitor will not connect to your WiFi.
Check to see if the other devices in your home are connecting to your wireless network. If you see that the other devices in your home are having issues with connecting to your WiFi then that is your first sign that the issue is with your network connection.
Fix – Reboot Router
- Rebooting your router is the first thing that you should try when you are having issues with your wireless network. Rebooting your router can clear any corrupt files that could be causing this problem with your WiFi. Follow the steps below to reboot your router:
- Go to your router.
- Unplug the router from the wall outlet.
- Wait a few minutes.
- Plug the router back into the wall outlet.
- Wait a few minutes for your router to reboot.
- Once it is rebooted try connecting your VTech Baby Monitor to your WiFi and see if it works.
- If you still have no internet connection after you reboot your router contact your network provider to report the issue. This could be an issue on your network provider’s part and may have to wait for them to solve this issue.
2. VTech Baby Monitor Out of Router Range
How far away is your VTech Baby Monitor from the router? There could be a chance that the reason why your VTech Baby Monitor is not connecting to the WiFi is due to the device being away from the router.
If you have your VTech Baby Monitor out of range from your router the device will not connect to your WiFi. There is even a chance that you have your VTech Baby Monitor in a dead zone in your house.
The reason why it is called a dead zone is because there is no WiFi in that part of the house. Dead zones are common especially if you have a larger house.
Fix – Move VTech Baby Monitor Closer to Rotor
When your VTech Baby Monitor is out of range from your router and the device is not connecting to the WiFi, there is a simple solution to this issue.
Move the VTech Baby Monitor Closer to your router or move the router closer to where you have the VTech Baby Monitor located at.
This will bring your VTech Baby Monitor within range of your WiFi connection. Once the VTech Baby Monitor is closer to the router try connecting it to your WiFi again to see if this fixes the problem.
Note, if you have a lot of dead zones in your home consider purchasing a WiFi extender to boost your WiFi connection.
3. Wrong WiFi Band
Another thing to consider is the WiFi Band. If your router is using 5GHz WiFi Band this will not support your VTech Baby Monitor. Since your VTech Baby Monitor only supports a 2.5GHz WiFi Band.
This may be the reason why you are having issues connecting your VTech Baby Monitor to your WiFi. Thankfully if you have a dual-band router you can make the adjustments.
Fix – Check WiFi Band
- Check to see what your WiFi Band is. If you have a dual-band router but your router is set to 5GHz WiFi Band this could be why your VTech Baby Monitor is not connecting to the WiFi. Look in your router instruction manual or contact your network provider to see if you can make the adjustments to your router. You will need to adjust your router to a 2.5GHz WiFi Band since that is what the VTech Baby Monitor supports.
- One thing you can do is check to make sure the mobile device you are using for the VTech app is connected to the same WiFi as your VTech Baby Monitor. They both need to be on the same WiFi in order for the device to work. Make sure you type in the correct WiFi password too, when you are trying to connect your VTech Baby Monitor to your WiFi.
4. Bug/Glitch With VTech App
The reason why your VTech Baby Monitor is not connecting to the WiFi could be a possible bug/glitch within the VTech app. If your VTech app is out of date this could cause features in the app to malfunction.
This includes the VTech Baby Monitor not being able to connect to WiFi. Whenever you are experiencing any glitches with the VTech app the best thing you can do is clear the app’s cache and check for any available updates.
Fix – Clear VTech App Cache/Update VTech App
Clearing the cache on the apps that are downloaded on your mobile device should be something you do regularly. Clearing the cache on your apps can refresh the app and clear any glitches that could be causing issues with the app.
Go to the storage option on your VTech app, you will see a “Clear Cache” option. Tap on that to clear the cache on your VTech app.
Check to see if there are any available updates for the VTech app. Doing an update may solve the issue of your VTech Baby Monitor not being able to connect to your WiFi. If you do not know how to check for updates for the VTech app follow these steps:
- Go into the Google Play Store or the App Store on your mobile device.
- Go to the “Manage Apps” option.
- You will see the available updates for the apps you have downloaded on your mobile device.
- Scroll until you see the VTech app.
- If there is an update follow the onscreen instructions to complete the update for your VTech app.
5. Issue With VTech Baby Monitor
There could be an issue with your VTech Baby Monitor and that is why you are unable to connect it to your WiFi. This could either be due to a glitch on your VTech Baby Monitor or could even be a faulty VTech Baby Monitor.
The first thing you should try to do if you are having issues with the VTech Baby Monitor is resetting the device to see if this clears the issue. However, if that does not work you may have a faulty VTech Baby Monitor and will most likely have to get the device replaced.
Fix – Reset VTech Baby Monitor/Replace VTech Baby Monitor
If none of the solutions above have worked and you are still unable to connect your VTech Baby Monitor to your WiFi. The issue could be with the device, try to reset the VTech Baby Monitor to see if this solves the issue. Follow the steps below to reset your VTech Baby Monitor:
- Unplug the parent unit and the baby unit from power.
- You will need to remove the batteries from both the parent unit and the baby unit.
- Wait for about 15 seconds.
- Put the batteries back into the parent unit and the baby unit.
- Connect both the baby unit and parent unit to power.
- Wait for the parent unit and the baby unit to come back up.
This will complete the reset and now try connecting your VTech Baby Monitor to your WiFi.
If this does not work you may have a faulty VTech Baby Monitor. Check the warranty on your VTech Baby Monitor, this may be covered under your warranty.
This means you could possibly get a new one replaced for free, especially if the reason why the device is faulty is due to a manufacturer error. Contact the customer support to see how you should go about replacing your VTech Baby Monitor.
As mentioned above, if none of these steps have solved this issue and you are still unable to connect your VTech Baby Monitor to your WiFi. You should contact the customer support to report the issue and see what you can do about this.
There could be a chance that you have a faulty device due to a manufacturer error. If that is the case you should be able to get a new VTech Baby Monitor replaced with no cost to you.