Starlink is a wonderful internet provider that provides customers with good consistent internet connection even for those who like remote. This is why it is getting more and more popular the longer they are around.
With that being said, like with all devices technical issues can occur. One issue you may have run into is that your Starlink is stuck on searching. You may be asking yourself what you can do to solve this issue.
In this guide I will be going over the most common reasons why your Starlink is stuck on searching and how you can solve this problem.
Why is Starlink Stuck in Searching?
There could be a few reasons why your Starlink is stuck on searching. One of the most common reasons for this is happening with the Starlink Dish.
It could be a range of issues, from the Starlink Dish trying to connect to the nearest satellite, to a tree being in the way of the dish. It could even be an internal error that is causing this problem and Starlink needs to send an update out for its Firmware.
Below I will be going over all of this and more. Issues with Starlink are quite common such as Starlink is connected but has no internet.
1. Starlink Dish is Looking For Satellites
One of the most common reasons why your Starlink is stuck in searching is due to the Stalink Dish looking for satellites to connect to. When your Starlink Dish can not find a satellite to connect to this will leave your Starlink stuck in searching.
There could be a possibility that your area does not have adequate coverage. There could also be a possibility that you are not located in the area that is set up with your Starlink account.
Fix – Wait For Satlink Dish to Connect to Satellite/Check Set Location
1. If the reason behind why your Starlink is stuck on searching is due to your Starlink Dish trying to connect to a nearby satellite. The best thing to do is wait for the Starlink Dish to connect with a nearby satellite.
If you live in a remote area you may have to wait longer since there is not adequate coverage for your current area. If your Starlink is still stuck on searching and you have waited for a long time, try contacting the customer support team to see if the issue is with the network.
2. Another thing you can do if your Starlink is stuck on Searching is check to see if you are located at the service address on your account. If you are not located in this area or the address is off this could be why your Starlink is stuck on searching. Change the address back to the correct one or relocate to the correct address to see if this solves the issue.
3. Is there anything that could be blocking your Starlink Dish? Believe it or not but even if a tree is in the way of your Starlink Dish this could prevent your Starlink Dish from connecting to a nearby satellite.
Even if your Starlink Dish is covered in snow this could be the cause behind this issue too. Make sure your Starlink Dish has a clear view of the sky and it is not covered by anything.
2. Issue With Starlink Dish
As mentioned above the main cause of your Starlink being stuck on searching is an issue with your Starlink Dish. If the steps above did not solve the issue then maybe the issue is within the Starlink Dish. It could just be an internal error that is causing your Starlink to be stuck on searching. This could be solved by power cycling your Starlink Dish.
Fix – Power Cycle Starlink Dish
Doing a power cycle on your Stalink Dish could clear any internal error that is causing your Starlink to be stuck on searching. If you do not know how to power Cycle your Starlink Dosh follow these steps.
- Unplug the Ethernet cable that is connected to your Stralink Dish.
- Wait a few minutes.
- Plug the Ethernet cable back into the power adapter and connect it to the Starlink Dish.
- You should wait up to 30 minutes to allow the Starlink Dish to reboot itself.
- Wait for Starlink to perform a fresh start. This should solve the issue.
Note, if this is your first set up you may have to wait a little while longer since Starlink may be performing an update.
3. Starlink Dish Cable is Not Properly Inserted
Have you checked the cables that are connected to your Starlink Router and Starlink Dish recently? If your router or dish has any loose or damaged cables this can be causing your problem. Are the cables placed correctly?
Even one cable out of place could prevent your Starlink from functioning properly. If the steps above still have not solved the issue for you it is about time that you look over the cables that are connected to your router and dish.
Fix – Check Starlink Dish Cable
- Look over all the cables that are connected to your Starlink Router and Starlink Dish to see if they are placed in the correct port. If one cable is not plugged in properly could be the reason behind your Starlink being stuck on searching.
- If all of the cables are placed in the correct port the issue could be that the cables are either loose or damaged. If you notice that any cables could be loose, unplug the cable and securely plug it back into the correct port.
- Any damaged cables should be replaced right away. Having damaged cables could prevent your Starling from working correctly and may cause some features to malfunction. Even if the cable is bent or has weather damage could cause problems. Getting new cables may be the solution to this issue.
4. Bug/Glitch With Starlink Firmware
Like with any device and inter-provider, no matter how hard to try to stay clear of any bugs/glitches they always tend to appear. Another common reason why your Starlink is stuck on searching could be due to a bug/glitch with the Starlink Firmware.
Any bug/glitch bug or small can cause internal errors to appear in the device. Waiting for an update on your Starlink could clear these bugs/glitches that are causing your Starlink to be stuck on searching.
Fix – Wait For Starlink Firmware Update
- Since Starlink automatically sends out their updates you can not do the update yourself. The best thing you can do is wait for an update to come out for Starlink to solve this issue.
- If you want to make sure Starlink is aware of a possible bug/glitch in their firmware you can contact the customer support and report the issue. The more people who bring this error to attention the faster an update will come out.
Note, since the update may take some time, do not disconnect any of the equipment. Doing this before the update is complete could cause some issues.
5. Faulty Starlink Router/Dish
Are you still dealing with this issue even after doing all the solutions above? There could be a possibility that your Starlink is faulty. Though this is rare it is not impossible, like with all technology, devices can be faulty.
Either the Starlink Router is faulty or it is the Starlink Dish, both could be the cause behind your Starlink being stuck on searching. Sadly this is not an issue that you can fix on your own and should leave it for the professionals.
Fix – Contact Starlink Customer Support
- Contact the customer service team for Starlink and report the issue. They can guide you on what to do next. Maybe there is a step you can do that only they know that can fix this issue without you having to replace your equipment.
- Check your warranty, this could be a manufacturer error and could be covered under your warranty. If it is covered under your warranty then you could get a new one replaced with little to no cost.
- If your Starlink is faulty due to basic wear and tear Iverson time you could call a professional to come to repair your Starlink. However, do keep in mind the cost. Would it be cheaper to just purchase a new unit?
- If the professional can not solve the issue you still have to pay for the repair and purchase a new unit. Costing you more money for nothing, that is something to consider when making this decision.