There are occasions where you may need to change the name on your Starlink account, transfer ownership of your Starlink device to someone else, or take ownership of a Starlink device from someone else, and so need to change the account information.
For a long period, Starlink disabled the feature that allowed users to change their account information by themselves. However, in recent times, some of the features have been re-enabled and now you can transfer ownership of your Starlink device to someone else or take ownership of someone else’s Starlink device, and in the process change the account information linked to the device.
In this article, I am going to show you how to change the name and any other detail on Starlink account, as well as provide you with important information that you need to know about making these changes.
How To Change Name On Starlink Account
- If you are looking to simply change the name on your Starlink account, then you need to submit a ticket to Starlink Support to get that done
- If you are looking to change the name on the account because the account name is different from the billing name, then you do not need to change the account name. It is perfectly okay for the account name to be different from the billing name.
- If you are looking to change the payment method, shipping address, or service address, I will provide details for that later in this article
- If you have purchased a Starlink from an authorized retailer or third party, follow the steps below to add your Starlink to a new account or to existing account:
- Go to www.Starlink.com/activate
- Enter your Starlink Identifier
- Click New Account if you are creating a new Stalink account
- Click Existing Account if you have an existing account
- Enter Your Address
- Choose Service
- Enter your Contact and Billing Information
- Select “Place Order”.
- Under Hardware, click on I Already Have My Starlink and enter the Device or Terminal ID
Note the following:
- Standard and Priority service plan activations are not possible in areas at full capacity. You can go to Starlink.com/map to view Starlink’s service availability map in your area. If there is no capacity in the area, there will be no option to activate with a Mobile type service plan. This means that you are not able to complete the process.
- You will not be able to able to activate Standard or Mobile service plans in an existing Business type account: this is not supported
- You will not be able to activate Starlink for use in a different country from the country used when setting up the account: this is not supported
- If a Starlink device is currently assigned to an existing account, it cannot be activated for another user or account
How To Transfer Starlink Device To Someone Else
If you are looking to transfer ownership of your Starlink device to someone else, then note the following carefully:
- Starlink is not responsible for the condition of kits sold or transferred by third parties. This means that if the kit is defective in any way, Starlink is not liable for it, nor are they obliged to fix it. They will, at best, provide standard customer support to you where applicable.
- You cannot transfer ownership to someone else if you have outstanding payments on your account. All orders and services must be fully paid at the time of transfer
- You must first cancel your current service before transferring Starlink device to someone else
- When the transfer is complete, the Starlink is removed from your account, you no longer have access to it, the service will be stopped immediately, and you will lose your remaining days of service period on the account.
- The new owner must then sign up for Starlink service on Starlink.com. Again, service is subject to availability. Refer to starlink.com/map to check availability of service in the area. Availability also depends on the offering such as Standard, Mobile, and so on
- Upon activation, the new user will be charged for the first month of service and can begin using right away.
- The warranty period for any Starlink kit starts from the day it was purchased from Starlink or its authorized reseller. This means that the warranty does not start afresh when you transfer to a new owner. However, if the kit is still within the original warranty period, the new owner enjoys the warranty for as long as it lasts.
Now that you understand the conditions for transferring ownership of Starlink to another person, follow the steps below to transfer Starlink ownership:
- Go to Starlink.com and log into your Starlink account.
- Under “Your Starlinks” select “Manage” next to the Starlink you would like to transfer.
- On the left-hand side, click “Cancel Service”. Remember that you must do this as a prerequisite for transferring ownership to another person.
- Under “Devices”, find the Starlink you want to transfer and click “Transfer”
- Agree to the displayed terms and conditions and confirm the transfer to remove the kit from your account permanently
- If you have the new owner’s email address, you can enter it in the provided space to send an activation email to them and speed up the process.
- Otherwise, click on Close to finish the process.
- Factory reset your router to its original settings.
- Finally, provide all items in your Starlink kit, as well as your Starlink Identifier to the new user. They will need this for account and device activation.
- The Kit Serial Number is located on the Starlink Kit shipping label (ex. KIT00000000)
- The Dish Serial Number is ocated on the bottom of the Starlink mast (ex. 2ABC000000000000)
- To get your Terminal ID:
- Make sure that you are connected to your Starlink internet
- Launch the Starlink app, and tap Settings
- Next, tap on Advanced
- Under STARLINK you will see an ID with a long number. The Terminal ID is the number minus the ‘ut’. That is, when entering the Terminal ID, do not include ‘ut’
Now, the new owner can either click the link on the email you sent to them in step 6 above or sign up at starlink.com, using the Starlink Identifier you have obtained to activate the hardware under their account.
Changing Service Address, Shipping Address, and Payment Method:
When you make an order for a Starlink device, you will receive a confirmation email to confirm the order. This is a multifactor authentication feature.
In the email, you will click on Confirm My Order and get redirected to an order confirmation window as a logged in user. On this window, you can review the following:
1. Service Address: You can only change your service address if Starlink is available in that area/location at that time. If Starlink is not available at the time of order, you won’t be able to change service address, and the order processing will not complete. Instead, you will be shown a new, expected service date. You will be then placed on a queue position which you will hold until next availability.
2. Shipping Address: You cannot change the default shipping address registered to your account or the address linked with a pending order, on this page. If you wish to change your default shipping address, follow the steps below:
- Login to your Starlink account.
- On the left-hand side of your home screen, select the “pencil icon” next to “Default Shipping Address” to edit your address
- Enter the new default shipping address.
- Save change by clicking on “Update Shipping Address”.
- Note that changing the default shipping address will not change the shipping address for existing orders. To change address for existing orders, see below:
- Login to your Starlink account.
- Under “Your Orders” section, click on “View”
- On the left-hand side, select the “pencil icon” next to “Shipping Address”.
- Enter the new shipping address that you want the existing order to go to
- Save change by clicking on “Update Shipping Address”.
Note: You can only edit the shipping address for an existing order if the order status is Preparing Shipment. If the order has already been processed, you will not even see the pencil icon to edit the shipping address. When this is the case, you would need to contact the carrier from your tracking link after the order has been shipped, and then work with them to deliver to your new address.
Next time, if you want to ship to a different address than your default shipping address, then enter the new address on the checkout page.
Another way to change shipping address is if you see Cancel Order on the order page. If the option is available, it means that your order has not yet been processed. You can then click on Cancel Order to cancel it. You can then go back to the shop and order again with the new shipping address.
One thing to note though, as I always advise users, is that if you are ordering a Starlink Kit, then first make sure that you can buy another kit at the new address that you want to change to.
You cannot ship your items to a country different from the service address that was used during account creation. To ship to a different country, you would need to create an account in the country of choice.
3. Payment Method: On the order confirmation page, you can easily change your payment method or card details. Starlink supports both 3D and non-3D verification for card payments.